The Importance of believing in yourself

Friday 17 October 2014

Bit lame and from Pinterest but we all know its true.
Over the past few weeks I've been feeling a little lost and confused. Part of this is due to my endless moving about, but deep down I think this feeling is rooted in not knowing what I really want to do with my life.

Now don't get me wrong I know what I WANT to do. I want to get married, have children and to be able to stay home and focus on being a good Mum. This however, is clearly not that realistic a goal in this day and age. I clearly should have been born 50 years ago. For one thing, I'm not actually ready for that yet nor am I in any sort of situation where I could support that plan financially.

My problem is that I've been doubting myself and feeling incapable of achieving my dream. To make it work, I obviously need to have some sort of career and I have I can make that happen as I don't feel like I am good at anything.

After an hour of whinging to my Mum and Grandma I still don't know what the answer is. But I did walk away with one piece of advice: believe in myself.

Being a sulky twenty year old who thinks her relatives know nothing I dismissed this advice as being rubbish. But the more I think about it the more I think they're right. Having faith in yourself changes your whole outlook. Saying 'I can' means you won't let anyone stop you. I need to be more like Madeline (if you haven't seen it then you should) who reckons she can do anything and shes like 8.

Having a negative attitude will not help me achieve my goals. Instead I need to have faith that everything will be ok in the end, and that I can do whatever I put my mind to. It's not always easy to stay positive about your future when you are studying a degree that you're 90% sure you probably don't want to work in (but that's a whole other post). You start to think that your skills aren't valuable because the people around consider a different skill set to be preferable. For instance I'm great at talking to people but not so good at maths. In a science degree its easy to see which skill is going to get me a job and which one people dismiss as being useless.

I'm going to do my best to work on changing my outlook. It will work out eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan