Spend vs Save: Nars Audacious Lipstick or Rimmel Dupe

Monday 26 June 2017


Who doesn't love a good bargain? I'm always on the hunt to save money so I love a good dupe. But like most people, I like what I like. I find myself drawn to similar shades over and over again.

So it's not that surprising that I've found two very similar lipsticks within my collection. These two nudes are alike in every way except the price. One costs a massive £25 and the other costs £5.49. A difference of £19.51.

Spend: The NARS Audacious lipstick in Barbara is such an amazing lipstick. Everything about it feels premium. The packaging has the NARS logo all around the edge of the bullet and the lid snaps shut with a very satisfying magnetic click. The lipstick itself has the NARS logo embossed into the bullet. It's almost too pretty to use. NARS describe the colour as a 'tan rose' which is certainly true. It's definitely a  nude that would suit a lot of people as it's not too pink or too brown but somewhere in the middle. The velvet finish is neither a true matte nor a glossy texture and stays on all day with minimal need to touch up after eating and drinking. Overall I get a lot of wear out of this as it is ideal for work.

Top: Rimmel London Kate Lasting Finish 003. Bottom: NARS Audacious Lipstick in Barbara.

Save: The Rimmel London Kate Lasting Finish in shade 003 does pretty much all of the above but for a fraction of the price. The packaging is the classic black Rimmel bullet with Kate's name on the lid in red. While not as glamorous as the NARS one I really like the packaging for the price; it's nice to look at and keeps the lid on securely. The lipstick is also scented, but quickly fades after application. The colour is ever so slightly lighter than the NARS one as you can see from the swatch but when actually applied the colour difference is negligible. The finish is incredibly similar and while not quite as long lasting, it does stay put for several hours and is equally suitable for even the strictest of office environments. 

Overall Verdict: Save

I do love the NARS version and there is no denying that it feels premium enough to justify the price. However, if I had known how similar the Rimmel one I already had was, I wouldn't have bought it. The two lipsticks are so similar once applied, that for the sake of touching up my lipstick up occasionally, I think it's worth saving yourself nearly £20 and going for the Rimmel one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan