Projects for our Garden in 2018

Sunday 14 January 2018



1. Expand our bird feeders

When we first moved into our house in late Autumn we put a bird feeder in the tree in our garden. It has taken a while for the birds to be brave enough to use it but they are now feeding from it regularly.

I'd really like to get some more feeders such as ones for sunflower seeds or fat balls to encourage more birds to visit our garden.

2. Create a mini pond

Our garden is far too small to have a decent size pond but a water source is really important for encouraging wildlife to live in your garden.

I saw this project for creating a mini pond and thought it looked like fun, as well as being small enough for our space.

It also looks super easy, which is always good for gardening novices like myself.

3. Get a bug hotel

As part of providing a home for wildlife in our garden I'd like to get a bug hotel. You can make these yourself but some of the ones you can buy are really cute.

They cost hardly any money either and it would be nice to start adding some character to our garden as it's currently pretty sparse.

4. Get a fruit tree

Our garden already has a large cherry tree (which sadly doesn't seem to fruit) and some crab apple trees but I'd really like to get some sort of potted fruit tree.

Most likely an apple tree.

We don't have space for a whole orchard but one that is compact enough for a pot would be perfect.

5. Train some climbers up our trellis

We have a trellis that separates our oil tank from the rest of the garden and I would love to grow some climbers up it to hide this eyesore from view.

My mum has a honeysuckle growing in her garden that she took as a cutting from our old house.

But the original plant was a cutting from my Grandma's garden and I really like the idea of taking a bit of it with us to our new house (particularly as honeysuckle is quite easy to grow from a cutting).

6. Grow some fruit in our hanging baskets (probably strawberries and cherry tomatoes)

I always enjoy growing tomatoes and I'd like to make the most of the small space in our garden and grow something in hanging baskets.

The added advantage is they would have the heat from the wall of the house and from the fact it faces south. Plus they're right next to our water butt for easy watering. 

7. Attempt to help our lawn recover

We have a small lawn that is currently looking a little bit sad.

My cousin (who owned the house before us) has two small children and they had a trampoline and various toys in the garden. As a result our lawn has a lot of bare patches and it quite sparse and weedy in places.

My parents bought us a lawnmower for Christmas so hopefully come Spring we can fertilise and reseed it. After that we should now be able to mow it regularly.

Fingers crossed with a bit of TLC it will recover a bit. I'm not bothered about it not being a 100% perfect ornamental lawn. It would just be nice if it was a little better.

8. Challenge myself to grow something new

I tend to grow similar things each year and I'd like to branch out this and try to grow something I haven't attempted before. Perhaps runner beans or courgettes. Something simple and that can be grown in a pot.

9. Start a compost heap

Every garden needs one, even if it's just somewhere to get rid of your lawn clippings.

Again, this is another super easy project and hopefully one that will reward me further down the line when I've got ready made compost on hand.

10. Trim our cherry tree

This is something that needs doing fairly soon while the tree is still dormant during the winter but it needs cutting back a bit. Some of the branches are quite low and it's starting to take over the garden. 

11. Get a coldframe

This would help a low with lots of different plants and I've asked my very DIY orientated sister is she could build me one. Hopefully she'll feel the urge to build something new at some point!

12. Get some patio furniture

There's not much point having a garden if you can't enjoy it! We're in need of a table and chairs so we can sit outside and use the space. 

Our budget is tight so I'll probably be on the look out for some second hand items.

13. Host a BBQ

Hopefully by the summer our garden will be a little more welcoming and it would be great to invite some family and friends over for some laid back food and drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan